Welcome to Vancouver Scuba diving school, a boutique dive business specializing in one-to-one diver training, and guided tours of Howe Sound dive sites seven days a week.
You want to experience the undersea world here in BC and wherever you travel... and I'd like to convince you that a private, customized PADI course is your smartest investment in proper training.
This website contains a lot of valuable information and insight into the realities of learning to dive. It's best viewed on a big screen, for easy reading. Whether you choose to train privately with Vancouver Scuba, or in a large group at a dive shop, a thorough browsing of this site will help you to make an informed decision.
PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer
Cold water diving is an extreme sport. Train accordingly.
What you need to know about diving in the tropics vs diving in Vancouver
- The PADI Open Water Diver course is the most popular entry-level diving certification in the world.
- The certification enables you to rent equipment, dive with or without a professional guide, and take more training courses.
- A single PADI instructor can teach up to 8 Open Water students in a group at the same time. This ratio is based on diving in tropical conditions: warm water, boat diving, lightweight gear and underwater visibility that's good enough for an instructor to see everyone in the group simultaneously.
- This very same commodified group course is sold in Vancouver area dive shops.
- But...unlike in the tropics, diving in Vancouver is an extreme sport with profoundly different diving conditions. Cold water, shore diving, heavy gear and limited underwater "viz" make learning to dive in Vancouver much more physically, mentally and emotionally challenging for both the students and the professionals.
- Despite harsh cold water temperatures averaging 10C/50F, most Vancouver dive shops offer an off-the-shelf, commodified Open Water Diver course at an artificially low, marginally profitable price point per student, and maximize the group size.
- Large groups serve to seriously limit the amount of time that an instructor can devote to any individual student: averaging less than 45 minutes in the pool and 15 minutes underwater in the ocean. Personal attention and mentorship are minimal.
- Most freshly certified Open Water divers will never dive again in BC after finishing a commodified group course, mainly owing to a lack of skills and confidence.
Vancouver Scuba diving school offers a more enlightened approach to diver training in BC
Our private scuba courses follow a more enlightened and thorough training model. Private one-to-one training is safer than group training, the training goes far beyond the minimum PADI standards offered in a group course, you'll have the instructor's undivided attention and mentorship, and you'll develop at your own natural pace.
What the dive accident statistics reveal about new divers:
Research reports have shown that inadequate training creates dependent divers, unable to think for themselves, lacking knowledge, experience and self-sufficiency to solve problems and manage risks competently.
Vancouver Scuba diving school is a diver training business, not a retail dive shop.
Our training model is client-centered and tailored to BC's extreme diving conditions.
Before you decide to sign up for any scuba course, please read our Open Water course details, browse our Blog where we discuss real-world diving issues that you'll face as a certified diver, take 10 minutes to read Understanding Risk, review this Diving Suitability Self-Assessment, then make an informed decision.
- We offer fully divemastered two-tank Howe Sound Day Trips at any time and discounted multi-day packages for certified divers.
- For the convenience of visitors to Vancouver we provide all transportation from your hotel and organize the gear on your behalf.
- Check out the photo galleries around the website and link to our You Tube videos for impressions of great BC and tropical diving.
More About Us
- VSds is not a conventional brick-and-mortar dive shop. Rather, we maintain relationships with these shops which supply us with all the equipment and offer our clients discounts and deals on gear rentals and purchases. Contact US
- You can follow VSds on Facebook to see new videos and photo galleries. Please like us. Link to Facebook Page